Packing List for Climbing Mount Kilimanjaro
Here is a list of gear that you really need for your trek. All communal equipment such as tents, tables, chairs and cooking gears is provided by our office in Moshi town. All personal equipment is usually provided by the climbers although we have a fully stocked store of equipment available for hire. Total luggage should be kept to a maximum of 15kg on the mountain. Extra luggage can be safely stored at our office in Moshi town. If you need to take more luggage then you must let us know at the time of booking so that we can arrange additional porters.
Equipment and Other Stuff You Will Need:
• Trekking Poles: adjustable poles
• Trekking Boots: comfortable trekking boots or mid top hiking shoes
• Socks: minimum 3 pair thick mountaineering socks and 3 pair liner socks
• Short Underwear: 1-2 pair of synthetic short underwear
• Long Underwear: 1-2 pair lightweight long underwear pants and shirts
• Long Underwear: 1 pair of heavy expedition weight long underwear
• Trekking Pants: nylon pants worn during warm days
• Soft Shell Jacket: a hooded jacket
• Soft Shell Pants: for trekking and climbing
• Insulated Jacket: PrimaLoft or down
• Expedition Down Parka: a hooded down jacket with 800 minimum down fill
• Insulated Pants: PrimaLoft or down, these should have full side zippers
• Hard Shell Jacket: to be worn in wet conditions
• Hard Shell Pants: to be worn in wet conditions, these pants should have full side zippers
• Headlamp: bring extra batteries
• Warm Hat: a warm fleece or wool hat
• Balaclava: to cover your face and neck on windy days
• Sun Hat: a baseball style sun camp
• Buff: 1-2 of these to wear around your neck & face to block the wind, UV rays, dust
• Glacier Glasses: wrap around style sunglasses with dark lenses
• Goggles: with dark lenses
• Soft Shell Gloves: 1 pair
• Shell Gloves with Insulated Liner: 1 pair
• Shell Mittens with Insulated Liner: 1 pair
• Trekking Backpack: a 20-40 liter back pack
• Sleeping Bag: rated to at least -20 °F (down is preferable over synthetic)
• Compression Stuff Sacks: for reducing volume for your sleeping bag and down jacket
• Self-Inflating Pad: a full length air mattress
• Closed Cell Foam Pad: full length is best
• Sunscreen: SPF 50 or stronger
• Lips creen: SPF 30 or stronger
• Water Bottles: 2 bottles with 1 liter capacity each
• Water Bottle Parkas: to keep your water from freezing
• Pee Bottle: 1+ liter capacity recommended
• Pee Funnel: for women
• Knife: optional
• Toiletry Bag: toothpaste, toothbrush, baby wipes, etc.
• Hand Sanitizer: 2 small bottles
• Hand Warmers / Toe Warmers: 1-2 sets of each for summit day
• Trash Compactor bags (3): to line stuff sacks and separate gear
• Camera: lightweight with extra batteries
• Travel Clothes: for days in Arusha or on safari
• Large Duffel Bag with Lock: for transporting all personal gear during the climb, waterproof is best
• Small Duffel Bag: to store items in the hotel
• Small Personal First Aid Kit: athletic tape, band aids, Ibuprofen, Moleskin, blister care products, personal medications, cough drops, etc.
Remember to bring with you Acetazolamide (Diamox) for altitude illness, antibiotics such as Ciprofloxin or Azithromycin for gastro intestinal or respiratory illness, Ibuprofen for muscle soreness, Pepto Bismol for loose stool, Excedrin for headaches, anti-nausea medications, etc.
• Electrolyte Replacement Drink Mix: bring a supply for 6 days
• Energy Gel: single serving gel packs such as GU, Clif Shot, Powergel, etc.
• Energy Bars: Power Bar, Cliff bar, etc.
• Candy Bars: Snickers, Mars, Twix, Milky Way, etc.